Thursday, April 19, 2007

All By Myself...

...I kicked ass and took names this morning. Mission: Light The Water Heater Pilot - Accomplished! It may not seem monumental to some, but I'm damn proud of myself. Plus, I get the added benefit of TAKING A HOT SHOWER later this morning. Woohoo!!!

I turned on the furnace to see if it would cooperate with my awesome luck thus far, and the burners kicked on, but it just seemed to get hotter and smell burny and not really blow any air. Not knowing if this is supposed to happen or if this is the last thing people notice before their furnace blows up in their face, I turned it back off, cut the gas, and I'll just ignore it for a while. The next week or so should be in the 40s-to-60s, so there's no real loss there.

I should also note that during the winter, with our under-sized furnace and our poor duct work, our house never gets above 62. With no heat the last few days, it hasn't gotten below 55. Not that big of a difference. I can live with that. And I'm moving back to my cushy bed tonight - no more roughing it for this gal.

I have today and tomorrow off - before you folks think I've got vacation out the wazoo, well, this year I finally got an extra week, making 4 weeks total. The other folks on my team get 6 weeks (they've been there a while). Since certain people can't be off at the same time, we get together in early January and plot out the majority of the year's vacation. Yes, we really do. It sucks. And since I can't take days off at the beginning of any month (accounting close) or anytime late August through early October (budget season) or any of the six weeks our scheduler is out (I cover for him) or any of the weeks my boss is out (I'm her backup), my strategy for taking four weeks gets complicated, and I just pick random 3- or 4-day weekends here and there with some time around the holidays. And so here I am, on days when I thought I would be "spring cleaning" - yeah, like that'll ever happen - getting my jeans and shoes mucky and winning a battle with a stubborn pilot light.

It's 10am on a Thursday - is that too early for a glass of wine?

5 comments:

Eric K. said...

Woohooo! Made it to the "links" list! Congrats on the pilot lighting. When I used to teach my class to new Habitat homeowners, that was one of the biggest subjects - until we switched to tankless water heaters. After that, the toilet was the one that got the most questions. go figure.

Anonymous said...

What a week! I'm glad you're getting hot showers again. Kudos for being such a badass. Oh, and whose names did you take? :P
Pam

idyllicchick said...

Sweetie, it's *never* too early for a glass of wine!

Anonymous said...

My mottos are: "It's 5 o'clock somewhere" and "Is it beer-thirty yet". Enjoy

Lorena said...

Girl, you are BAD ASS. If you do not break out a wine or a beer for yourself, then... well, I don't know what. So don't make me think of something.
;p