Saturday, September 30, 2006

Megan's Hedgie

Didn't have a productive day yesterday. After working 6-day-weeks all month long, I thought the gift of a day off would have been nice. Alas, no. So during the afternoon my poor tired brain made a to-do list for the weekend, at the top of which was finishing Megan's hedgehog.


I thought it turned out pretty cute - she wanted an all-yellow one, but I couldn't find yellow-only Fun Fur. So I had to get a little creative. And since this is my 4th one, I feel I can really make some rules for myself in the future.

First of all, I'm not crazy about how Cascade 220 felts. I've made a felted bag and two hedgies out of it, and it's not my favorite. It doesn't felt wacky or anything, but as you can see in the picture above you can still see the rows of the pattern, and I'm just not fond of that. The other hedgies were made from Patons Classic Wool, which is pretty inexpensive and can be found in Michael's and A. C. Moore - an advantage, since that's where I get the Fun Fur too and can match colors directly. And it felts perfectly, seamlessly.

Secondly, I need to pay better attention to the Fun Fur packages. Some multi-colors are all over the place, and some are, well, striped...

From the back he looks like a big fuzzy Easter egg. Don't get me wrong - he's still cute as a button. But when I'd gotten a few rows of the back done and realized it was striping Fun Fur, I was a bit disappointed. But not enough to stop, since I think this color scheme went better with yellow than most of the others I found.

Again, I'm not disappointed - this is a spot-on fail-proof pattern that's easy for even quasi-beginners like myself. And it's such fun to see the little guys go from spongy oven mitts to cute felted hedgies. I'm just taking a few mental notes for the future.

Off to a fun-filled weekend that will involve crafts (pottery!!!), Broadway tunes, and food. Certainly there will be interesting pictures to come.

2 comments:

Lorena said...

Oh my-- that *is* pretty darn cute!

Anonymous said...

OMG, that is absolutely adorable!! And I think the fact that it is striped adds to it's personality. I got to get me that pattern for my daughter!!!

SP9 buddy