Thursday, August 16, 2007

It's Like Crack...I Guess...

...not that I would know...

I've had a rough week at work. Rough enough to be bitchy at home. To be tired. To be whiny. And yet, here I am at 10:30pm, hangin' out online. Why?

Because of Ravelry.

To explain to non-fiber-arts-folk (I could call them muggles, but there's a big to-do about that right now, and I don't want to be a part of that hoo-ha) - it's a community. A kick-ass community.

Let's say you're a woodworker. And you made a table out of pine. You took pictures of your pine table, made notes about it, referenced the plan (was it from Norm? was it your own?), and commented on the wood. What if folks from around the world - folks who were looking to make a table - or folks who needed a use for their pine - what if they could find your project with two clicks of a mouse? And what if finding your project led them to a Pandora's Box of ideas...?

Yeah. That's what Ravelry is. And that's why I'll never get sleep again.

And it's while I'll probably get fired one of these days. It's definitely like crack...I guess...

2 comments:

Eric K. said...

Ahhh...when you put it in woodworking terms, I can understand! Well, I guess sleep is over-rated anyway, right? At least you could use your half of the bed to store all the yarn that you'll be buying for all of these new projects that you're going to want to make, right?

jacquieblackman said...

Welcome to The Dark Side!!

Urrr.... at least The Yarn Side. :-)