Sunday, December 03, 2006

Will You Be My Friend?

There are so many reasons why you never should
But I will make you laugh
And love you quite a bit
And hold you when you're sad...
Will you be my friend?
For no reason that I know
Except I want you so.
- excerpts from "Will You Be My Friend" by James Kavanaugh

This past weekend, my friend buried her son. She did not do it alone. She was surrounded by family, neighbors, church family - and, of course, friends. Friends who sometimes act stupid and silly. Friends who made her and her husband laugh. Friends who didn't know what to say - only that nothing would suffice. Friends who knew that they just Needed To Be There. Friends who knew that there would be Too Much Quiet when everyone left. Friends who knew they hadn't spent nearly enough time with that wonderful family and hated to leave. Friends who realized it shouldn't take something this horrible for us to get together again.

Just typing this makes me feel plastic and fabricated - you really have to look around, see your true friends, and realize that you cannot let lame excuses get in the way anymore. It's just not worth it.

No comments: